Trading well for me is about my own personal pursuit of excellence. I have no competitor, I do not trade “against” anyone or anything else, and I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself that I am capable. I liken executing a great trade to performing a great athletic feat, like a backflip on the balance beam, or a triple flip on the high bars. For me trading well gives me great intellectual satisfaction and discipline in my life. That is why I continue to do it day after day.
My trading guidelines are as follows:
- Nonresistance. A trader must be the bamboo tree that bends with the wind. I am the bird that rides the wind and the fish that swims with the current. I am in partnership with nature. I am at peace.
- Accommodation. I adapt to the demands that are put upon me. I train to become a better trader by gradually increasing the demands upon my capacities. I tolerate failure and learn. I climb my mountain with small steps.
- Balance. I do not trade too much or too little. I am not too aggressive or too passive. Balance implies that for every up cycle, there will naturally be a down cycle. Some days are high energy, and others are not. I become immune to impatience and frustration because I recognize that there is a natural law of balance in life.
- Natural order. There is a natural progressive development in my life, my trading capacities, and in nature. The seasons progress in proper sequence without haste. Just as a tree grows from a seed, I grow according to the natural order of the universe. I have humor about my general progress.
- Awareness. I become more and more aware of my errors so as to correct them until my performance becomes perfect. I am aware of my strengths that give me confidence, inspiration, motivation, and satisfaction. I am aware of my weaknesses that allows me to strengthen my foundation and consistently improve. I take responsibility for my errors and take steps to correct them. I am patient with myself and free from self-criticism.
- Preparation. I prepare for my journey ahead. I build a solid foundation. I may take the longer path towards my goal only because I take the time to prepare my mind, my emotions, my body, and my techniques. I do not fear failure. Failure is part of the learning process. I am at peace with failure.
- Total attention. I am in the present moment when I trade. I give total attention to the trade I am in. I have full focus on the movements in the market. I have one-pointed attention. I free myself from internal distractions and problems while trading.
- Relaxation. I am relaxed when I trade. If I feel fear, anger, anxiety, or sorrow while trading, I do not pretend that I do not feel the emotion and I do not overdramatize the emotion, but I translate my response to my emotions into positive energy and action.
- Physical Health. With mental clarity to light my path and emotional energy to furnish the fuel, my body becomes the vehicle to perform the perfect trade. I take care of my body by eating well, getting enough rest, and exercising. I develop strength of mind, body and spirit and suppleness in my movement in the markets. I develop sensitivity that enables me to learn more rapidly and with greater ease. I develop stamina to perform trades over an extended period of time.
- Focus. I place my focus on performing the highest-probability-trade setups while keeping an open mind.